HomeReviewsTop10ListsStrategyRulesTournaments

Pokertropolis Review

Click here for $50 Sign-Up Bonus, 25% Match

I think I've just discovered the official poker room of the movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". Pokertropolis is a glitzy, sleek poker room with a futuristic feel and an eye on eye-candy. They make it easy for novice players to get into the ring, with rules on every game they offer, including explanations of poker's oft-perplexing, oft-intimidating betting structures.

To boot, Pokertropolis offers a few player favorites that other sites have not yet picked up on, namely 5-Card Draw and California Lowball. Currently, 99% of their tournaments are Limit Holdem, the other 1% No Limit Holdem. As far as I could tell, there are no Pot Limit tournaments on the regular schedule, nor are there tournaments of any of their other ring games. Hopefully they'll catch on soon enough and expand their tournament offerings.

At Pokertropolis, you can set up a private table (or a tournament even) of any game you wish, which has a definite appeal. I'd say it almost makes up for the lack of variety in their regular tournament schedule. OK, not really.

 
Pokertropolis OVERALL GRADE
 
Featuring:
Glitzy, eye-catching graphics
Extensive rules pages
***Their promotions page is only accessible through the software, which I think is unforgivably stupid. Then, when you see how abysmal their promotions are, you begin to understand why they're hidden. They advertise Freerolls,but hve none scheduled. Again, unforgivable.
 
BONUS Information
  Deposit Bonus:
25%
  Sign-up Bonus:
$50
  Referral Bonus:
N/A
 
Ranking Summary
  CATEGORY
Bonuses
Promotions
Software & Graphics
Game Variety/Limits
Traffic
RATING
4/10
1/10
5/10
6/10
2/10
CATEGORY
Competition
Rake
Customer Service
Deposits/Cashouts
Ease of Use

RATING
1/10
8/10
8/10
7/10
4/10
Overall Grade 49%
 
   
 


Bonuses
25% Signup Bonus, up to $50
Progressive Bad Beat Jackpot (starts at $5,000)
No Referral Bonus
No Freerolls


 
 


Promotions
Frequent Player Points for tournament buy-ins


 
 


Software & Graphics
Unique feel, not part of a network (ie. Prima), not a "skin" (ie. Microgaming)
Despite nifty, vibrant backgrounds, the interface is a bit lacking in functionality

Poketropolis Lobby Poketropolis Table


 
 


Game Variation & Limits
Holdem, Omaha (hi & hi/lo), 7-Card Stud (hi & hi/lo), 5-Card Stud, 5-Card Draw, California Lowball
It's a mixed-bag. They offer an atypical variety of games, but almost all the action is in Limit Holdem.
Private tables in any games improve their appeal
But their tournament offerings are limited almost exclusively to Limit Holdem
Active, high stakes heads-up games
Limits from $.25/$.50 - $50/$100
Extremely popular heads-up (relatively speaking)


 
 


Traffic
Very small - 300 tops
Mostly regulars, like a cult following
Almost all the action is in Limit Holdem


 
 


Competition
Stiff, tough
Tight, conservative, experienced players who mostly know each other


 
 


Rake
Lower than the competition at low stakes
No Flop/No Drop
$.50 max. at heads-up
Max. at $2.00 limits and under is $1


 
 


Customer Service
Decent live support
Toll-free telephone ( U.S. & international)
Email


 
 


Deposits & Cashouts
Neteller, FirePay, Visa, MasterCard, Prepaid ATM, Moneygram International, bank wire


 
 


Ease of Use
Hand history
Real-money player stats
Lobby stats - average pot, players/flop
Extensive rules pages
No note-taking support